Background colour

Text Size


You are here: Home > Information > Information for Teachers, Schools and Colleges > Financial Supports

Call: 01 877 6001 Email:

Financial Supports

Unfortunately, there is very little direct financial support available towards the costs associated with dyslexia.

VAT back on computers/specialist software

If computers are bought for home/personal use, the VAT on these purchases can be claimed back.  However, the individual’s report must state that the computers/software are essential, not merely beneficial, as a result of their disability in this case dyslexia.  The form needed is Form VAT 61A which can be downloaded from the revenue website ( or contact the Revenue Central Repayments Office at 047 62100.

Grants for schools to purchase computers for dyslexic students

Schools can apply to the S.E.N.O. for grants to purchase computers and other specialised equipment/software for students with severe dyslexia where a computer/specialist software is deemed necessary (a grant will not be given if the support is merely beneficial).  With the schools agreement, this computer could be brought home in the evening for homework and study.  The computer is the school’s property, so when the child leaves the school, the computer remains with the school.

Grants at College – The Fund for Students with Disabilities

Study related support for students with disabilities is financed through the European Social Fund for Students with Disabilities.  This funding is not means-tested and is available to undergraduate and postgraduate students studying on full-time programmes.  Individual Further Education and Higher Education institutions assess the needs of each student with a disability on registration with the Disability Service, and apply for funding in support of those needs, on the student’s behalf.

Special Education Support Service

The Special Education Support Service ( provides information, advice on training on all special education issues to schools and teachers. They also provide some financial assistance towards the cost of special education training for teachers.

DAI Funding

In exceptional circumstances, DAI through its fundraising efforts is able to offer some reduced rate services to individuals/families who are on social welfare or on a very low income.  Each case is considered on an individual basis.  Contact the national office or your local Branch for further information.  DAI is a charity, and we are only able to offer these limited subsidies due to fundraising and donations and depending on our financial health at the time of application.

Domiciliary Care Allowance

Domiciliary Care Allowance is a monthly payment made in Ireland to the carer of a child with a severe disability who lives at home.  While no disability is excluded, conditions are not normally considered unless there is a very high degree of additional care and attention required.  Please note that this allowance is very rarely granted on the basis of dyslexia only.

To apply, fill in a Domiciliary Care Allowance form which is available from your local Social Welfare Office or Citizens Information centre.  Your completed application form and supporting documentation should be sent to:

Domiciliary Care Allowance,

Social Welfare Services Office,
Department of Social Protection,
College Road,
Tel.  071 915 7100

Locall 1890 500 000


Find us on...

DAI activities are part-funded by the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government (Scheme to Support National Organisations 2016-2019 administered by Pobal), the Special Education Section of the Department of Education and Skills, SOLAS and KWETB.