Course for Parents
The Dyslexia Association of Ireland (DAI) organises a one-day course for parents on dyslexia.
- Understanding Dyslexia.
- Understanding the assessment report.
- Accessing support in school, e.g. learning support, Irish exemption, exam accommodations.
- Practical suggestions for parents and helping with homework.
- Planning for the future – second level and beyond.
The next DAI Parents’ Courses will be held in autumn 2013. Details will be posted here once dates and venues have ben finalised.
In-Service Course for Teachers
Venue: Dunraven Arms Hotel, Adare, Co. Limerick.
Dates: Monday 1st – Thursday 4th July 2013
Times: 10am to 4pm each day
This course will run over four consecutive days, and is open to qualified primary and second level teachers. The detailed course programme and application information is available to download below:
English Exam Preparation Classes 2013-2014
The Dyslexia Association of Ireland is delighted to announce that it will be running the English Exam Preparation Classes again this year, for students with dyslexia who will be sitting either the Junior or Leaving Certificate exams in June 2014. The courses will run for 24 weeks between September 2013 and April 2014. It will be a weekly two-hour class from 5.30 to 7.30pm each evening – Wednesday evenings for Junior Certificate and Thursday evenings for Leaving Certificate. The venue will be city centre Dublin (exact venue to be confirmed). Please see below for details about each class and booking forms.
DAI Junior Cert. Exam Class (Info and Booking Form)
DAI Leaving Cert. Exam Class (Info and Booking Form)
UrAbility.com Dyslexia/Dypraxia Summer Camps 2013
UrAbility.com are running assistive technology training camps in July/August 2013 in Dublin and Cork for students with specific learning difficulties, including dyslexia and dyspraxia.
A 3 day camp, aimed at students from 13 – 17 years old, it aims to provide:
- An overview of how to use Assistive Technology to enable learning.
- Opportunity to interact with peers through sports & activities.
- Guest speakers discussing college life, study skills & more.
DAI Annual Conference and AGM 2013
‘Surviving and Thriving’ – Dyslexia Association of Ireland – Celebrating 40 Years
Our Annual Conference and AGM took place on 13th April 2013 in the The Glenroyal Hotel, Maynooth, Co Kildare .
We are most grateful to all who attended, and hope you enjoyed the day.
Topics addressed at the conference included:
- Celebrating DAI 40 years on
- Two personal tales of surviving and thriving
- Official launch of Factsheets for Second Level (by Anne Cassin of RTE)
- New Junior Certificate: What you need to know
- Surviving and Thriving at Second Level (Therese Mc Phillips)
- Assistive Technology – Keynote talk plus demonstration opportunities
- Student Discussion Forum
- Learning to learn – tips for second level students
- Plenary session.